Spring is in the air, we're all feeling energised, and some of us are starting a new decorating project.
We are working on a new kitchen design, and we are also repainting all walls in our home. We're also decluttering and re-organising to make room for some subtle changes in our new-found style.
How does one find their own style?
There are many things to consider when undertaking a new spruce-up of your abode, but it all boils down to a handful of simple rules. Here are ours; hope you'll find these useful.
Approach home decorating like you do fashion. We each have our own unique style, and that is always based on a few standard things:
Your personality in the home
First and foremost, your home decor should reflect who you truly are. You do not want to live in someone else’s house or in a set-up you’ve seen once in a magazine. Think about what makes you click, what makes you relax, what inspires you and incorporate it in your home style.
Having trouble identifying it? Yeah, that happens what with the endless inspiration out there. Try a home style quiz to find out what you truly like living with. Here are a five fun picture-based options (click on the logos to access the quizzes). The results might surprise you.
Your vision for your home
Most of us have a pretty good idea of how we want our home to look. Whether it’s a dream house we work towards or the actual home you live in - Newsflash! - this house style vision will change. Yes, it doesn’t make sense, but if you have gone through some style changes in your life - be it fashion or travel destinations or, indeed, the house - you know what this is all about. It’s natural for your style to evolve and change, and all you can do is enjoy it.
Once you settled on a style, you will:
- Eliminate confusion and save money by not spending on the wrong things
- Get a cohesive, comfortable home that makes you happy
- Have a clear decorating direction that you can implement
- If you want to start again from scratch, here is a good book to look at, a literal picture journey through all home styles known to man: 'Decorate: 1,000 Professional Design Ideas for Every Room in Your Home'.
- You want to get back to basics? Here’s a book that can help: 'Simplicity' by Nancy Braithwaite.
- Looking to make just a few changes? Then this is for you: 'Styled: Secrets for Arranging'.
- You want to build a solid new foundation and change your style along with your lifestyle? This might be a good start: 'Elements of Style' by Erin Gates.
- You are a keen DIYer looking to make your own mark on your home? This book can guide you through various easy-to-difficult projects you can undertake without much professional experience or help: 'The Maker: Beyond Decorating: Crafting A Unique Space'.
They way you live
Finally, you and your family’s needs must be the first thing you consider when redecorating. Maybe an immaculate, expensive house is not the best idea if you have small kids. Maybe you want to stay away dark decor if light in your home is not abundant. Whatever your personal set-up, there is a solution, and you will find it.
Start small, with a lick of paint, a side table, a few more plants, but go big, get everyone involved and enjoy your decorating journey. No matter what though, have a plan.
It goes something like this:
- Use existing objects in new, ingenious ways.
- Start with one room and have a mini make-over.
- Find an inspiration source.
- Vote and negotiate with family members or housemates on what you all want in terms of design.
- Write up a plan, set a budget, stick to the design.
Have a look at our other decorating and interiors guides on
our blog for more inspiration. If you are really stuck, we are here to help. Have a look at our design services here. And here are a few additions from home-lust.com that would suit any home style and house size.